Thursday 16 March 2017

Home of religions and superstitions

India is home to many religions. If religions are not enough, many believes exist in India, so many that there are number of saints and their paths to lead the people. And Indians being loyal to the paths shown by their gurus, are ardent followers.

India has witnessed evolution in terms of religious beliefs. Earlier, it was Vedic thoughts prevalent, then came brahminical sect, then to overcome the shortcomings of brahminical system Sikhism Jainism and Buddhism came into existence. Due to invasion by Muslim rulers Muslim religion got introduced. Again foreign invasion brought Christianity in India. Judaism and Zoroastrianism also being followed by many.

Time and again radical ideas have given different perspectives to Indian religious beliefs. And if you realise by religion we are talking about a supreme serene force which rules our the mind,body and soul of living things and non living objects too. So, if the purpose is this simple and goal is so unidirectional, then why so many religions are required. And if the paths lead to single destination then why humans think that one religion is superior than the other. Well, I feel the religions are same, it is the followers who have made it complicated. Life is so simple but we have the habit to make things complicated. Why it isn't easy for us to choose and imbibe the good things from everything that exist.

Do you remember the dialogue by Morgen freeman from the movie Evan Almighty,A random act of kindness at a time. Wow, things are so simple till we complicate them. Do things good to change the world, it will change you for better. But, these ideologies are now have taken a backstage in people's mind and instead the conflicts between people following different ideologies have taken a centre stage.

Humans have created religion in search of peace and truth but ironically, instead of putting effort in searching the truth we are connecting religion with everything else. Superstitions can be seen impacting our decisions. When I was a kid, we used to have a small place at home to worship and we were not allowed to enter that room with slippers on. I used to wonder why Christians can wear shoes while worshipping and why we( Hindu) can't. During my school days, I used to always put my pens in that sacred room in order to "charge" them with god's blessings during my exams๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚. And whenever I used to forget to put my pens in that room, I used to make lots of blunders in the test.Though it was me and my subconscious mind and not the God who was responsible for good or bad results. If you think you can do it, you can and if you think you can't, you are right.
And these superstitions are not confined to any religion ,at least not here in India. One of my classmates she was a Christian, one day I happened to find her secret letter which she had written to God and of course since it was a secret letter nobody except for God was allowed to read that. But I read that secret letter secretly ๐Ÿ˜‰ I was hoping for some big revelation but it was a checklist of promises that she had made that she would observe if she happened to get full marks in Hindi๐Ÿ˜Ÿ.

As a kid I was deeply inspired by Bollywood movies, so one day I saw this movie where the hero who was almost dead and was breathing his last.The heroin of the movie instead of taking the fella to the hospital,went to a temple of goddess Durga and started to sing and dance to make the goddess happy. And miraculously the hero got revived. I was amazed and thought this trick would be a rescuer for me as well(I was really worried about my results). So, I performed my form of Bharatnatyam in that sacred room of mine๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜…. But, nothing could save my sunken ship and I had scored all time low in the exams.This version of spiritualism is really dangerous. It kills your time, drains your energy and you get nothing.And It is a prominent trait of almost every indian's personality.

I love to watch Amy Adams in the movie Leap Year. A girl from Boston traveled all the way to Dublin to propose to her boyfriend for marriage on leap day, and as per the Irish tradition a man who is proposed to on leap day cannot reject the proposal. Everything was beautiful about the movie, the landscapes, the story and above all the superstitions. It was a relief to see that people in Ireland are as superstitious as Indians are. Then found this habit even common when I saw "My big fat Greek wedding", by now I was pretty much satisfied that we are not the only country in this world where people are superstitious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment